This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Schengen Visa for Transit


Schengen Visa for Transit

Visa Department

For general information please call the operator at operator Tel. (310) 820-0622 from Mon-Fri from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and from 2:00 to 3:30 pm
The following office will answer your calls from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm from Mondays to Fridays (with the exception of Wednesdays) at: Tel. (310) 432-9766


Click her to make an online appointment

ATTENTION: The Prenota Online reservation system is completely FREE of charge.

 PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR DO NOT FIND AN APPOINTMENT, due to the high demand of requests, we suggest that you patiently CHECK DAILY our appointment system for cancellations. Appointments become available from 3:00 pm (local time)


European Union citizens do not require visas to travel to any of the Schengen area countries.


Citizens of the following countries DO NOT require a visa when visiting the Schengen area countries for a stay of up to 90 days per semester, for tourism, business, invitations, study, on mission or to take part in sport events. Nonetheless, according to art. 5, par. 2 of the Testo Unico (Unified Body of Laws) n. 286/98 and Law n. 68 of May 28,2007, upon your arrival in Italy you must report to the Border Authorities or, if you are coming from one of the Schengen Countries, you must report to the competent Questura (Police Department) within 8 (eight) working days of your entry in Italy: ALBANIA, ANDORRES, ANTIGUA & BARBUDA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, BAHAMAS, BARBADOS, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA, BRAZIL, BRUNEI, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, COLOMBIA, COSTA RICA, DOMINICA, EL SALVADOR, GEORGIA, GRENADA, GUATEMALA, HONDURAS, HONG KONG, ISRAEL, JAPAN, KIRIBATI, MACAO, MACEDONIA, MALAYSIA, MARSHALL ISLANDS, MAURITIUS, MEXICO, MICRONESIA, MOLDOVA, MONACO, MONTENEGRO, NEW ZEALAND, NICARAGUA, NORTHERN MARIANAS, PALAU, PANAMA, PARAGUAY, PERU, SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS, SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRANADINE, SALMON ISLANDS, SAMOA, SAN MARINO, SANTA LUCIA, SERBIA*, SEYCHELLES, SINGAPORE, SOUTH KOREA, TAIWAN, TIMOR (EAST), TONGA, TRINIDAD AND TABAGO, TUVALU, UKRAINE, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, U.S.A., URUGUAY, VANUATU, VATICAN CITY, VENEZUELA.

*Serbian citizens holders of Serbian passports issued by Koordinaciona upreva MUST apply for a Schengen Visa.

Persons traveling to Europe for a short stay (1 to 90 days) may receive one visa valid for the above mentioned Schengen area countries.

The Consulate of the country of main destination, according to the length of stay is responsible for granting the visa. If the main destination cannot be ascertained – for example, same number of days in different countries – the visa will be issued by the Consulate of the country of first entry.
If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Consulate of that country.

The Consular office will evaluate the documents submitted and may request additional ones at its discretion. Furthermore, the applicant should also be aware that submitting the required documentation does not automatically guarantee the issuance of a visa.

There is no legal right to a visa.

Holders of a Schengen visa are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country and are therefore not guaranteed automatic entry even when they hold a valid Schengen visa. Therefore, it is necessary to carry the documents used to obtain the visa at all times. Inability to produce them may prevent entry in Italy.

According to art. 5, par. 2 of the Testo Unico (Unified Body of Laws) n. 286/98 and Law n. 68 of May 28,2007, upon your arrival in Italy you must report to the Border Authorities or, if you are coming from one of the Schengen Countries, you must report to the competent Questura (Police Department) within 8 (eight) working days of your entry in Italy.

Other visas, for a longer stays than 90 days or for the purpose of employment, etc., are still subject to the national laws of the country of destination.

It is advisable to apply for the visa at least three (3) weeks and not more then ninety days prior to the entry date in the Schengen Territory.

During the summer months and holiday periods, a longer processing time may be required. Rush processing is not possible.

The Consulate General of Italy in Los Angeles will accept visa applications only from legal residents of ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, NEVADA and the following counties in the state of CALIFORNIA: S.Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, Imperial Valley, Orange.

Visa applicants must make an appointment and must appear in person to submit their visa request.
As of May 15, 2014, fingerprinting is requiredfor persons applying for a Schengen Visa (up to 90 days). Children under the age of 12 are exempt from this requirement. Data will be recorded in the VIS central database, in accordance with the highest data protection standards, for a maximum of 5 (five) years and, during this period, they will be copied from the VIS database for subsequent visa applications.

You must submit ALL the required documents. Incomplete visa applications will not be accepted and will be returned without processing. The application form must be completely filled out and legible.


Applicants must submit the following documents (2 sets of documents: 1 original plus 1 copy) :

1. Passport or travel document accepted by the Schengen countries valid for a period of 3 months beyond the applicant's last day of stay abroad. 
The passport must not have been issued more than 10 (ten) years ago and must have at least two blank pages on which the visa can be affixed.
In your passport, your complete birthdate must be mentioned: day, month and year.

2. Proof of permanent residence in the United States: U.S. Alien Registration Card or valid long term U.S. visa (type A,E,F,G,H,I,J,L,O,R) with I-94 Form.

The US Alien Registration Card or US visa should be valid at least three (3) months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen territory.

U.S. visas B1/B2 (tourism/business) visas are not acceptable for this purpose.

3. Students must have a valid I-20 Form endorsed by the competent authority (re-entry/travel), and exchange visitors must have a valid IAP-66 Form.

4. Two recent passport size photographs (2x2 inches in size, full face, front view, white background). Scanned or photocopied photos are not accepted.

5. One Schengen Visa application completely and clearly filled out, online and printed in HIGH RESOLUTION to be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer. If an applicant presents himself/herself without this specific form they will be requested to leave and make a new appointment. For those that are unable to fill in the online form due to technical difficulties, please contact

6. Proof of sufficient funds to cover the expenses of your planned stay: bank account statement(s) for the last three months showing name and address of owner (s) (Electronic printouts are accepted); proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of the last three months. If retired, also a copy of pension certificate showing amount of pension.

7. Employment verification:

a) Letter from employer, on letterhead, stating position, salary and that the vacation/leave has been approved. The letter must be signed and dated.

b) If self-employed: valid business license, certificate of incorporation, and latest tax return concerning business.

8. If you are a student: a letter of full-time enrollment from the school, college or university.

9. Round-trip flight reservation is required to begin the process You must provide the round-trip airline ticket (paper or electronic) when you pickup your passport or when the passport is going to be returned to you by mail.

10. Lodging:

a) If staying at hotels, present letter from travel agent or from hotel itself stating name, address and telephone number of the hotel, the reservation dates and confirmation number. The name of applicant/s must be mentioned on the reservation.

b) If you have been invited to stay with an Italian citizen or a foreigner who resides in Italy, you must have that person fax directly to this Consulate General, prior to submitting your visa request, the “Declaration of private accommodation”. A copy of that persons’ document of identity must accompany the invitation:
- A copy of the valid Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit of stay for foreigners) if the host is a foreigner.
- A copy of a valid identification document if the host is an Italian citizen.

11. Proof of purchase of Worldwide Travel Insurance. Travel insurance can be purchased from a travel agent or online.
Provide letter or certificate from insurance company showing coverage for medical expenses,
hospitalization costs and repatriation for medical reasons, for the days you are outside the
United States. Insurance coverage must not be less than 30,000 Euro.

12. For MINOR applicant/s, one of the parents must submit the visa application on behalf of him or her (the minor does not have to come in the Consulate if younger the 12 years) along with documents mentioned on n. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (parents’ bank account statement(s) and notarized declaration of financial responsibility for trip), 7, 8, 9, 11,12, 13 of this list of requirements.

The following documentations is also required:

- Authorization to travel abroad signed by both parents. The signatures must be authenticated by a Notary Public if the parents are in the United States, or by an Italian Embassy or Italian Consulate if the parents are outside the United States.

- Birth certificate translated in English, and the translation must be authenticated by the local Consulate General of the country of birth.

- Notarized copies of both parents’ picture I.D.

13. Entry visa for the third destination country, if required.

14. Handling visa fee (please refer to list of references on the right hand side) will be paid in exact amount in cash, money order or cashier’s check made out to the Consulate General of Italy upon presentation of the visa application regardless of the
outcome of the request. PAYMENT METHOD: Money Order or Cashier's Check (to the Consulate General of Italy) for the exact amount is required. Please refer to the Handling Fees for the exact amount - Cash payment will be accepted only with previous authorization, for exceptional reasons due to the impossibility of acquiring the requested payment methods.

15. Provide a self-addressed (from yourself–to yourself) pre-paid/stamped envelope (Express Mail, FedEx), if you wish to have your passport mailed back to you. The authorization form must be filled out. IF THE RETURN LABEL IS NOT COMPLETED PROPERLY (FOR EXAMPLE IF THE CONSULATE APPEARS AS THE SENDER) IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

The Consular office will evaluate the documents submitted and may request additional ones at its discretion. Furthermore, you should also be aware that submitting the required documentation does not automatically guarantee the issuance of a visa.

Required documents are submitted in two (2) sets – one original and one copy – since immigration authorities abroad can ask you to show the documents that were submitted to obtain the visa.