This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Schengen Visa for Tourism


Schengen Visa for Tourism

COVID-19: Temporary Restriction on Non-Essential Travel to the EU For more information click thefollwing link: 

Visa Department


To make an appointment please register and book your appointment on our online portal PRENOT@MI


To determine whether Italy is the correct nation to receive your application, count up the days you will be spending in Italy and in other Schengen Area countries.


a) Italy is your only Schengen Area destination, OR

b) you are visiting different countries in the Schengen Area, but Italy is the country in the Schengen Area where you will be spending most of the time (number of days), OR

c) you are visiting different countries in the Schengen area, but you are spending an equal number of days in each country, and Italy is your first port of entry in the Schengen area,

then you may apply for a Schengen visa at our Consulate.


You must apply for the visa at least three weeks (and not more than ninety days) prior to the departure date.


PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR DO NOT FIND AN APPOINTMENT, due to the high demand of requests, we suggest that you patiently CHECK DAILY our appointment system for cancellations. Appointments become available from 3:00 pm (local time)


Visa applicants must make an appointment and must appear in person to submit their visa request.
As of May 15, 2014, fingerprinting is requiredfor persons applying for a Schengen Visa (up to 90 days). Children under the age of 12 are exempt from this requirement. Data will be recorded in the VIS central database, in accordance with the highest data protection standards, for a maximum of 5 (five) years and, during this period, they will be copied from the VIS database for subsequent visa applications.

You must submit ALL the required documents. Incomplete visa applications will not be accepted and will be returned without processing. The application form must be completely filled out and legible.

Applicants must submit the following documents (2 sets of documents: 1 original plus 1 copy) :

1) Passport or travel document accepted by the Schengen countries valid for a period of 3 months beyond the applicant's last day of stay abroad.
The passport must not have been issued more than 10 (ten) years ago and must have at least two blank pages on which the visa can be affixed.
In your passport, your complete birthdate must be mentioned: day, month and year.

2) Original and a photocopy of your valid Driver's License or State ID issued by California, Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico (Driver's License or State ID issued by other States are not accepted); if you moved and have not updated your Driver's License or State ID from California, Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico, you must submit a current (same, if available, or previous month of your appointment) bill of water, gas or electricity (other types of bill are not accepted). We may requested additional documents as proof of residence.

3) Proof of permanent residence in the United States: U.S. Alien Registration Card or valid long term U.S. visa (type A,E,F,G,H,I,J,L,O,R) with I-94 Form. The US Alien Registration Card or US visa should be valid at least three (3) months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen territory. U.S. visas B1/B2 (tourism/business) visas are not acceptable for this purpose.

4) Students must have a valid I-20 Form endorsed by the competent authority (re-entry/travel), and exchange visitors must have a valid IAP-66 Form.

5) Two recent passport size photographs (2x2 inches in size, full face, front view, white background).
Scanned or photocopied photos are not accepted.

6) One Schengen Visa application form completely and clearly filled out, online and printed in HIGH RESOLUTION (a minimum print DPI of 300, lower than 300 DPI might not be machine readable and therefore NOT ACCEPTED). The application will then need to be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer. If an applicant presents himself/herself without this specific form they will be requested to leave and make a new appointment. For those that are unable to fill in the online form due to technical difficulties, please contact

7) Proof of sufficient funds to cover the expenses of your planned stay:

a) bank account statement(s) for the last three months showing name and address of owner (s) (Electronic printouts are accepted) AND

b) proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of the last three months. If retired, also a copy of pension certificate showing amount of pension.

8) Employment verification:

a) Letter from employer, on letterhead, stating position, salary and that the vacation/leave has been approved. The letter must be signed and dated.

b) If self-employed: valid business license, certificate of incorporation, and latest tax return concerning business.

c) If you are a student, present a letter of full-time enrollment from the school, college or university.


(a) Round-trip flight reservation to the Schengen area is required.

(b) If you visit more than one Schengen country, you must provide means of transportation between countries (flight reservations, car rental reservation, train ticket, etc.).

10) Lodging:

For every night spent in the Schengen area, the applicant must provide proof of accommodation reservation (as per the below instructions) in the form of print-outs (no emails on the cell phone, no screen shots on the cell phone) AT THE TIME OF THE APPOINTMENT. Applicants who do not comply with this rule will have to schedule a new appointment.

a) Hotels reservation showing name, address and telephone number of the hotel, the reservation dates (check-in, check-out) and confirmation number.
The name of applicant/s must be mentioned on the reservation.

b) Rental agreement of vacation home showing full address, the reservation dates (check-in, check-out) and confirmation number. The name of applicant/s must be mentioned on the reservation.

c) If you have been invited to stay with an Italian citizen or a foreigner who resides in Italy (family or friends), you must have that person fax directly to this Consulate General or email at prior to submitting your visa request, the “Declaration of private accommodation”.

A copy of that persons’ document of identity must accompany the invitation:

- A copy of the valid Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit of stay for foreigners) if the host is a foreigner.
- A copy of a valid identification document if the host is an Italian citizen.

d) If you are traveling with an organized tour, present a letter from your travel agent or organizer of the tour (Trafalgar, Cosmos, Globus, etc.) stating that you are a member of the group, and a copy of the tour itinerary.

e) If you are taking a cruise, present the document from the cruise ship line confirming that you are a passenger and cruise itinerary.

11) For MINOR applicant/s, one of the parents must submit the visa application on behalf of him
or her (the minor does not have to come in the Consulate if younger the 12 years) along with
documents mentioned on n. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (parents’ bank account statement(s) and notarized
declaration of financial responsibility for trip), 7, 8, 9, 11,12, 13 of this list of requirements.

The following documentations is also required:

- Authorization to travel abroad signed by both parents. The signatures must be authenticated by
a Notary Public if the parents are in the United States, or by an Italian Embassy or Italian
Consulate if the parents are outside the United States.

- Birth certificate translated in English, and the translation must be authenticated by the local
Consulate General of the country of birth.

- Notarized copies of both parents’ picture I.D.

12) Proof of purchase of Worldwide Travel Insurance.
Travel insurance can be purchased from a travel agent or online
Provide letter or certificate from insurance company showing coverage for medical expenseshospitalization costs and repatriation for medical reasons, for the days you are outside the United States. Insurance coverage must not be less than 30,000 Euro. IF THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE INSURANCE ARE NOT FULFILLED THE VISA CANNOT BE ISSUED.

13) PAYMENT METHOD: Money Order or Cashier's Check (payable to the Consulate General of Italy – Los Angeles) for the exact required amount. Please refer to the Handling Fees for the exact amount. Cash payment will be accepted only with previous authorization.


(a) Self-addressed (from yourself to yourself) pre-paid/stamped envelope (Express Mail, FedEx, USPS) to have your passport mailed back to you. IF THE RETURN LABEL IS NOT COMPLETED PROPERLY (FOR EXAMPLE IF THE CONSULATE APPEARS AS THE SENDER) IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.


(b) A photocopy of the above mentioned envelope, which must include the addresse and the tracking number.


(c) The authorization form. It must be filled out before your appointment.

15) Original passport with previous Schengen Visas (if applicable) and photocopy of each Schengen Visa and of the page of your passport showing your personal information.

The Consular office will evaluate the documents submitted and may request additional ones at its discretion. Furthermore, you should also be aware that submitting the required documentation does not automatically guarantee the issuance of a visa.

Required documents are submitted in two (2) sets – one original and one copy – since immigration authorities abroad can ask you to show the documents that were submitted to obtain the visa.


Informativa Privacy Rilascio Visti