This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Registering Marriage Abroad


Registering Marriage Abroad


Vital Records Department

Please note that it is not necessary to make an appointment for birth/marriage/divorce/death registration, simply send all the required documentation via FedEx or USPS to the attention of the Vital Records department at 1900 Avenue of the Stars, suite 1250; Los Angeles, CA 90067

Please note that for same sex marriages you must follow the instructions on the page dedicated to Civil Unions of our website here.

To register a heterosexual marriage abroad in Italy you will require the following:

1) Application form to register in Italy marriage abroad duly filled out (available here);

2) Certified copy of Long Form of Certificate of Matrimony translated into Italian;

3) Certified copy of Long Form of License of Matrimony if marriage took place in Nevada or New Mexico with apostille;

4) "APOSTILLE" of the marriage certificate issued by the "Secretary of State" (See Link for address here) of the state where the marriage took place if the document has been issued on our jurisdiction (apostilles MUST be issued for both points 2 and 3 - If in Nevada or New Mexico);

5) Please include a certificate of Italian citizenship issued by the Comune in Italy or a copy of the Italian spouse's passport;

6) A copy of the foreign spouses birth certificate (translation and Apostille not necessary).

Please note that if you are in Italy you refer to your Comune for instructions and possible registrations directly with the Comune.

If the marriage you are going to register is not the first, please note that you will have to register previous marriage/marriages and divorces, bringing the documents indicated on this website. 

For marriages in Nevada Please note the following examples: Marriage Certificate (Long form Acceptable); Marriage Ceritificate (NOT acceptable); Apostille; Marriage License

General Data Protection Regulation